A Geofence is a virtual geographic boundary, defined by GPS or RFID technology, that enables software to trigger a response when a mobile device enters or leaves a particular area.
If you have gateways coupled to devices that should not be leaving a certain perimeter, it is advised to set up a geofence on the portal.
You will be alerted when the device leaves the set up perimeter.
- Use the sidebar menu to the left to navigate to the Geofence Page
- Click the plus sign to add a new Geofence
- Fill in a name for your new Geofence
- Zoom in on the map for a more precise placement of your corners
- Click the map to specify a point of your Geofence. It will appear like this:
- Select at least 3 different points to achieve a Geofence border
- You can add as many points to your Geofence as desired. It is to be noted that the Geofence will always connect from your first drawn point to your last drawn point. So it is important to place every point on a boundary.
- You can move a point by clicking and dragging the point to it’s new location. You can drag the point when your mouse marker turns into this symbol:
- You can delete a point by clicking the circle
- You can either Reset, Cancel or Save
You have now created a Geofence. The next step would be to add an alert to this Geofence. Learn how to do that in this article.